Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Boston Radio

Whats up people! Today Im taking a break from my Keep It Real session to talk about 2 things I love Boston, and Hip Hop. If you dont know by now I love my hometown Im originally from Jersey City, New Jersey but was raised in Mattapan, MA for as long as I can remember and thru my life I have listened to, am a fan of, participated in, and follow hip hop music. One thing I've noticed about Boston, having lived in Atlanta, GA and numerous trips to NJ and NY, is that we lack a true hip hop radio station in Boston. With much love going to 88.9, 87.7, 101.3, and even 94.5 we dont have a truely dedicated hip hop radio station. What I mean by that is that when I turn on the radio to whatever station I dont know what I'm gonna get. I listen to other types of music example reggae and r n b, but I'm a true hip hop fan to the death. What I find with Boston radio is that instead of having a truely dedicated to hip hop station we have a time slot which usually falls between talk radio and reggae not in that order. At times during the day when I switch between stations I feel like I live in the Caribbean. While I enjoy it I have to stress the fact that I'm a Hip Hop fan so I'd like to hear that. I know I'm not alone on this quest and while I can turn to satelite radio, a cd, or my ipod to get my fix I wonder what's really good? When I lived in Atlanta or visited NJ or NY I dont recall playing too many cd's or using the ipod unless I wanted something specific because they catered to the wants of the people on the radio at basically all times of the day. When one of hip hops favorite artists dropped a new song whether album or mixtape it got love on the radio. In Boston it seems like you either download or buy a cd to stay up on the latest in hip hop unless you talking about the same 12 songs that get over played on Boston's radio. Who do blame you ask, well I cant say the DJ's because they have a limited amount of control over what they play with the exception of 1 who I wont name to avoid causing any hate campaigns that take us off subject. I could say the Program Director since they have the responsibility of choosing which songs get played, or I can make it a joint venture between the Program Director and Radio Promoters hired by labels and given big budgets to ensure their artists are sucking up radio time. When I listen to a certain Boston radio station I'm under the assumption that their are only about 5 or 6 hip hop artists in the game. Luckily I'm smarter than that and know this to be untrue. However to the unknown fan this will become a reality. Am I asking for too much? A station that is dedicated to hip hops known and unknown artists, I mean truly dedicated to hip hop. How many Reggae stations do we need? How many Latino stations do we need? Mainly how many damn Rock and Roll stations do we really need? I could name a plethora of local artists that we have right here in Massachusetts that could flood the airwaves day in and day out with music. Wouldn't it be great to even have an all old school hip hop radio station, (pause for a hip hop moment) okay back to what I'm saying. Boston I love you, but we slacking and lacking a true hip hop station. While fans of other music can hear their desired genre of music we're kinda stuck with a time limit to hear what we desire, what we crave, what we love. I'm gonna start a poll to see how many people would support a hip hop radio station in Boston I'm pretty confident that I'm right but I too can be wrong. Maybe its all a dream but I'm willing to find out. Maybe I can spark that dream to come true, maybe I can make that dream come true. Endless possibilities exist is this one of them? To Be Continued for now. This your boy Eddie "E_SLIM" signing off of another session of REALTALK617 reminding ya'll to Keep It Real.

2 comments:

  1. Boston radio is trash!
    there are three maybe FOUR good hiphop radio stations. The others dedicate a section in the late evening or have a syndicated shows that are dedicated to it. To the people who think hiphop is just biggie smalls, jay z and tupac, it's almost a joke. To those of us that KNOW better and can recite KRSOne, WuTang, Cool Hurc and so many others it's gotdamn lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree Gorillamonk it's as if they wanna water down hip hop soften it up but by doing that they're totally disregarding a gigantic amount of people who are true hip hop fans. If it wasn't for the true hip hop fans's there would be no hip hop.

    ReplyDelete