Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Whats Goin' On???

Whats up people I had to post early today because I read some disturbing news this morning. I know this is RealTalk617 but its bigger than that we're all part of a community that spreads beyond our neighborhoods and across the globe. So I get email updates daily from NewsOne as I was scrolling down it was the usual gossip until I come across a story out of Detroit. So in Detroit the State Officials ordered the city of Detroit to close half of it's schools in order to balance the districts books which is going to increase the high school class sizes to 60 students. This is just ridiculous. With all the problems that exist in Detroit already financially, crime wise, job wise, when does it become okay to close schools as a solution to any problem. Maybe their right and this move will correct the books but then where do they go from there? What happens to the students? I thought education was key thats all we heard and hear is stay in school how is that possible when school is closed? Look at whos affected in this move the students, the teachers, the parents, the community I'm pretty sure they're not looking at this as a good thing. What about the teachers can 1 teacher handle up to or more than 60 students per class and actually put in the time and effort to make sure that each student is grasping the lesson, I dont think so not in high school anyway for that matter not in college sometimes. What about the teachers that are gonna be laid off due to the closing, doesnt this just increase the unemployment rate? Not to mention the possibility of the drop out rate to increase. Basically we have a serious problem here our family in Detroit is getting a raw deal I feel this needs to be addressed. While I'm heartfelt for those in the Middle East we gotta take care of home first and this is definitely something that needs to be taken care of. This your boy Eddie "E_SLIM" Matthews signing off for now from RealTalk617 reminding ya'll to Keep It Real.

No comments:

Post a Comment